Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Reflections

I recently received a comment on my photographs. It was quite interesting, but I though I would choose this fragment to expound further upon:

"Icons above the archway. Sunlight is shining directly
on them, making the halos glow."


I found her selection of words fascinating, insightful and
even "illuminating" by making the connection between
Sunlight and the "Glowing Halo". Her words are reflective
of the origin of Ukrainian iconography and its connection
to the Halo as a symbolic representation of divine authority
in ancient times...


While the comment focused on the symbolism behind the use of the sun as a symbol of Divine authority, I though I would focus more on the icons, and why they were glowing: they were not shining with their own light. Quite the opposite in fact; when the sun set further, they were quite drab. The halos were glowing because they were reflecting the light of the sun, making for a breathtaking sight.

Now, those icons depict the Saints. Likewise, they are not remembered for their own light, their own righteousness, but because they reflected the light of the Son. Without Christ, we are nothing; it is His light that makes us glow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan @ Necessary Roughness said...

Very nice, Maria. Bravo. :)

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home