Friday, July 28, 2006

I've been tagged...

Gack Sean, I hate these things...

Anyway, here goes.

1. One book that changed your life:
The Bondage of the Will by Martin Luther

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
The Silmarillion

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
Is there a combination Bible-and-Hymnal?

4. One book that made you laugh:
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

5. One book that made you cry:
Books don't make me cry.

6. One book that you wish had been written:
How to get your annoying little brothers to shut up

7. One book that you wish had never been written
The Purpose Driven Life

8. The book you are currently reading:
The Shape of the Liturgy by Dom Gregory Dix

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read
The Brothers Karamazov. I keep forgetting to get it when I go to the library.

10. Now tag five people:
I don't know who to tag. If you see this and want to do it, pretend I tagged you. :-P

4 Comments:

Blogger Kepler said...

Mel,

There is a combination Episcopal Book of Common Prayer and Hymnal published by Oxford. I have to confess that musically, I believe the Anglican hymns to be FAAAAAAAAR superior to the Lutheran hymns -- although far weaker in theolgical content, of course. A case in point is the hymn "Jerusalem" which is based on a throughly pagan (but beautiful) poem by Blake. The music is truly transcendant.

Hope all is well.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Long time no see Kepler. I'll have to respectfully disagree with you about the musical content of Lutheran hymns - with a few exceptions, the melody line is sublime. I will, however, grant that the harmony is often lacking.

5:34 PM  
Blogger solarblogger said...

Lutheran hymns have other problems. One is where the translator from German to English didn't bother to take accent into account, so the beat hits the wrong syllable. A beautiful melody and orthodox lyrics can, in such a case, still combine to create an unsingable monstrosity.

But I was really wanting to tell Maria that she should get The Brothers Karamazov at the bookstore, not the library. There is a high quality paperback version translated by Pevear and Volokhonsky that is especially nice. This novel is in my top five favorites of all time.

2:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watch out for Dix. He turns the Supper into our doing. Magpie

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home